Founder & History

Founder & History

Committed to living its vision and values Cambridge School shared philosophy rests on the foundation of a strong moral purpose. We recognise the value of a moral purpose based on the concept that every child can succeed and achieve significant growth. We intend to provide our children an ambience that propels their spirit and scope of imagination to boost the learning process.

Founder & History

Committed to living its vision and values Cambridge School shared philosophy rests on the foundation of a strong moral purpose. We recognise the value of a moral purpose based on the concept that every child can succeed and achieve significant growth. We intend to provide our children an ambience that propels their spirit and scope of imagination to boost the learning process.

Our Founder

Mr. Alok Chandra Deb was born in 1898 in Dehra Dun and took a Master’s Degree in Literature from Calcutta University before starting work as a teacher with Col Brown’s School and the Gurkha Military Academy. His nationalism was fired by his readings in English, Urdu and Bengali literature as well as by his association with the eminent lawyer and composer Atul Prasad Sen in Lucknow. His experiences as a teacher left him dissatisfied, not only with the curriculum but also with the way Indian students were treated in schools run by Englishmen. Cambridge School was founded on the 7th of April 1931 in a small flat in Qutub Road, Delhi. It moved soon after to 21 Daryaganj and — as it grew – to 2 Daryaganj. By the nineteen forties it had already established itself as one of the foremost schools in the city.

A boarding school by the name of Shishu Niketan was set up in Mussoorie in 1950, moving subsequently to Dehra Dun under the name Raja Ram Mohan Roy Academy.
Cambridge School Delhi — thus named because it was the first school to send students up for the senior Cambridge examination — acquired its own campus in Srinivaspuri. The foundation stone of the building, designed by the well-known architect Cyrus Jhabvala was laid in 1961 by the then Vice President of India Dr. S.Radhakrishnan and the building was inaugurated by Smt. Indira Gandhi, then the Minister for Information and Broadcasting, in 1963.

Mr. Deb was the Principal of the School till 1964. He himself was deeply read and widely informed but he never left the shores of India. The School’s motto — We Learn to Serve — reflects his deep conviction that a true education is one that reaches its apogee in service to society. That aim requires the development of character, curiosity, and self-awareness, the three main aims of an enlightened school. Mr. Deb continued to work till well into his eighties, rising at five-thirty to give tea to his wife before settling down at his table to work. Cambridge School occupied his entire day, his entire week including Sundays, and his entire life. A strict but kind man, generations of boys, girls and teachers remember him with reverence.

Cambridge Schools owe their existence to late Shri AC Deb, an eminent educationist and a great visionary who first established a school in Mussourie in 1930, in order to provide good quality education to the people of India. He then established schools in Dehradun, Delhi and Abbotabad (now in Pakistan). The schools flourished under his able guidance and gradually grew into centre of learning. In the initial stages these schools were affiliated to the Syndicate of the University of Cambridge.

Our Founder

Alok Chandra Deb was born in 1898 in Dehradun. He took a Master’s degree in Literature from Calcutta University and worked as a teacher with Col. Brown’s School and the Gurkha Military Academy. His nationalist beliefs, fired by his readings in English, Urdu and Bengali literature, led him to conceive of an educational programme in which practical learning would complement the development of the mind and intellect through critical understanding.
His convictions, along with those of other pioneers, led to the beginning of a new era in Indian education. Indians would henceforth be confident and independent minded; and no longer the unquestioning followers of European models and methods.
Cambridge School was founded by him on 7th April 1931 in a small flat in Qutub Road, Delhi and it moved soon after to Daryaganj. By the 1940s it had already established itself as one of the foremost schools in the city.

How it began?

Cambridge School was founded on the 7th of April 1931 in a small flat in Qutub Road, Delhi. It moved soon after to 21 Daryaganj and — as it grew – to 2 Daryaganj. By the nineteen forties it had already established itself as one of the foremost schools in the city.

A boarding school by the name of Shishu Niketan was set up in Mussoorie in 1950, moving subsequently to Dehra Dun under the name Raja Rammohan Roy Academy.

Cambridge School Delhi — thus named because it was the first school to send students up for the senior Cambridge examination — acquired its own campus in Srinivaspuri. The foundation stone of the building, designed by the well-known architect Cyrus Jhabvala was laid in 1961 by the Vice President of India Dr. S.Radhakrishnan; and the building was inaugurated by Smt. Indira Gandhi, then the Minister for Information and Broadcasting, in 1963.

Mr. Deb was the Principal of the School till 1964. He himself was deeply read and widely informed but he never left the shores of India. The School’s motto — We Learn to Serve — reflects his deep conviction that a true education is one that reaches its apogee in service to society.

That aim requires the development of character, curiosity, and self-awareness, the three main aims of an enlightened school. Mr. Deb continued to work till well into his eighties, rising at five-thirty to give tea to his wife before settling down at his table to work. Cambridge School occupied his entire day, his entire week including Sundays, and his entire life. A strict but kind man, generations of boys, girls and teachers remember him with reverence.

History

The Cambridge School at Delhi was founded by Shri Alok Chandra Deb on the 7th of April 1931. This was the first institution in Delhi to prepare students for the Senior Cambridge Examination.

Cambridge School, Indirapuram was established on April 15, 1999. It has more than 2000 students. The school is affiliated to the Central Board for Secondary Education up to the twelfth standard.

× Chat with us on Whatsapp